Stagecoach Build Log (01-27-08 2m)
I completed this build on 1-27-08. Being my first wooden model and the first build I have done since childhood, it took me two months to finish. I worked on it occasionally during weekends and really wasn’t in any hurry. It gave me time to relive a few childhood moments.
All in all it went well. My only trouble came when I built the wheels. It was a nightmare. I had to make certain that I didn’t get any glue on the jig and yet keep all the spokes true. This was a learning process. After six hours of trial and error I had four trued wheels and a Corona.
The horses were my first experience with the art of carving. I, armed only with no. 11 blades and some sandpaper, think I did OK. The ears were tricky; I had to learn to carve with the grain. The horses turned out beautifully once stained and I actually agonized over covering them up with the bridle works.
This build helped me remember something I had lost while growing up. I intended to not let the magic get lost again.
To see a more complete build log visit my Build Logs Blog: http://s.kahn.lyshanpress.com/blog/blog4.php/stagecoach/ to see a photographic step-by-step reproduction of the complete log.
All comments and questions may be left on this post (link may be found under the post's title heading shown above).